Darren was born in Albany, Western Australia in 1968 and is now based in Perth. In 2006, he completed a Bachelor of Communications, majoring in Photo-media, at Edith Cowan University. Darren has contributed to many group exhibitions, both at home and overseas. His work has been short-listed for several significant photography awards and has been published in various periodicals and in two well-received books.
Darren has travelled extensively throughout South East Asia and his acclaimed study, “Northern Viet Nam,” is collected in “Undeclared Customs.”
“Photography for me is an invitation into somewhere else , It is a means of exploration,documentation and creation. It provides proof so others can see.”
Some of Darren’s most critically-acclaimed work can be found in his series, “Images From Preah Vihear” which focuses on the clash of cultures surrounding this thousand-year old temple (for which the series is named) located on the border of Thailand and Cambodia. Preah Vihear has been a source of political and social conflict for many years, and Darren’s work examines the daily lives of the people living in the midst of this turmoil.
- 2011 Finalist IRIS Portraiture Awards Perth Centre for Photography. Perth Western Australia
- Solo exhibition Portraits Kurb Gallery Perth. Western Australia
- 2010 Finalist IRIS Portraiture Awards Perth Centre for Photography. Perth Western Australia.
- 2009 Centre for Contemporary Photography, Documentary Award Melbourne. National touring exhibition 2009-2011.
- 2009 Cambodia: Images from Preah Vihear. Solo exhibition at Red Dust Gallery Perth Western Australia.
- 2008 Group projection of Australian photographers at Kaunas Photo Festival Lithuania.
- 2007 Finalist IRIS Portraiture Awards Perth Centre for Photography. Perth Western Australia.
- 2007 March group exhibition Undeclared Customs, The Pikture Gallery. Bangkok.
- 2007 February group exhibition Undeclared Customs. The Breadbox Gallery Perth.
- 2006 June joint exhibition, Images Viet Nam with Benedict Moleta (drawings). The Kurb Gallery Perth.
- 2005, Edith Cowan University, Photomedia Graduation show, Northbridge. Perth Western Australia.
- 1999, group exhibition City of Perth Photographic Awards. Perth Western Australia.
- 1998, 10 x 8 group exhibition Exhibition, Perth Centre for Photography. Perth Western Australia.
- 1996, group exhibition City of Perth Photographic Awards. Western Australia.
- 1995, group exhibition City of Perth Photographic Awards. Western Australia.
- 2009 Feature A Karma Sandwich The Phnom Penh Post 7Days magazine.
- 2007 Undeclared Customs, catalogue from the exhibition Undeclared Customs Bangkok/Perth.
- 2002, Perth, Photographs. Darren Clayton & Danny Khoo. Kukubird Publications Perth Western Australia 2002. ISBN 0-958000 13-3-2.
- 2001 Vintage Motocross & Dirt Bike Quarterly, issue 12. Contributing photographer.
- 2000 Women Out West magazine April Issue 11 front cover.
- 1998 Photography International Magazine-Volume 11 number 10 ‘ A Study of Viet Nam- from South to North’.
- 1998 Backpacker Essentials Magazine, Spring Edition.